Click thumbnail for photos of Key Tower.
Key Tower - 1991
The tower, developed by the R.E. Jacobs Group, was originally built as the Society Center, and was renamed when KeyCorp acquired Society Bank. The tower faces two of downtown Cleveland's most significant public spaces, Public Square and Mall A.
Key Tower features art deco-like setbacks leading to a stainless steel pyramidal crown. Key Tower is connected to the Burnham and Root-designed Society for Savings building.
In September of 2005, KeyBank added illuminated signage to each side of the base of the crown.
Terminal Tower - 1930
When it was built as part of the Van Sweringen brothers' Union Terminal station, it was the tallest building in North America outside of New York City until 1967, when the Prudential Center was built in Boston. It was the tallest in the world (outside of New York City) until 1953 when the main building was constructed at Moscow State University. The related earthmoving required for the Union Terminal complex was the second largest excavation in history after the Panama Canal.
Terminal Tower remains the second tallest building in Cleveland and Ohio. Click here to go to Cleveland State University Library's Cleveland Union Terminal collection, an exhaustive resource detailing the construction and history of the Union Terminal complex.
The Terminal Tower's 42nd floor observation deck is open for special events and occasionally to the public.
200 Public Square - 1985
200 Public Square features multiple setbacks at its top which are intended to lessen its visual impact on the nearby Terminal Tower. 200 Public Square also features an 8-story atrium, one of Cleveland's largest, with numerous fountains and artwork throughout. 200 Public Square is the third tallest building in Cleveland and the fourth tallest in Ohio.
Tower at Erieview (100 Erieview) - 1964
Harrison and Abramovitz also designed the United Nations building in New York City. Wallace K. Harrison was also one of the architects for Rockefeller Center. For years, a vast plaza was located to the west of the Tower at Erieview, until the Galleria at Erieview, a glassy two story shopping center developed by the R.E. Jacobs Group, was constructed in 1987.